cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Christian Schneider for committer
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:18:46 GMT
On Tuesday 23 September 2008 2:51:36 pm Christian Schneider wrote:
> Many thanks to all who have voted. I am honored to be part in the CXF
> development team.
>
> How does it go on from now? I guess I have to get an account for the
> subversion repo.

I sent you a note already requesting the information I need to get an account
created.   That could take a week or more so getting that information sooner
rather than later is a good thing.

> Do you have some guidelines for commiters?

Pretty much keep doing what you're doing.    Don't break the build (run tests
before commit).   Discuss any major changes on the lists first (at least give
a heads up).  When in doubt, ask questions.

We pretty much follow a "commit first, ask questions later" policy.   By being
voted in as a commiter, you've basically shown you know (more or less) what
you are doing.  However, if you think you want something reviewed before
hand, definitely ask.

From a branching standpoint, we pretty much just all develop on trunk (2.2).
Anything "bug fixey" I'll merge down to 2.1.x and 2.0.x when I get around to
it.  Or, feel free to merge it yourself.  (svnmerge.py helps with that)   In
general, devs just need to deal with trunk and the release managers (me, for
now, may ask for volunteers shortly to take some of this on) merge the bug
fixes thing to the bug fixes branches.

Basically, the only major rule is "don't break the builds".  Adding "not fully
baked" code is definitely OK (and is actually a GOOD thing sometimes to get
more people seeing it, testing it, etc...) as long as it doesn't break the
build.   That said, about an hour after you commit, you'll usually get a
notice from IONA's (now Progress's) cruisecontrol letting you know it passed.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org