cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how about we honor style sheet in wsdl
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 04:05:10 GMT

Should WSDLs have stylesheets?  After all, as they say, web services are for
computers what web browsers are for human beings--but computers don't care
about how data looks, so the need for stylesheets is less clear.  (Although
I certainly understand that the intention of the stylesheet is for the WSDL
to be more pleasing to the human.)

Another concern about allowing stylesheets is that they could visually mask
or alter the web service's appearance.  Hide some operations, for example,
possibly even change values (I think)--how much of a concern is that?  We
have a JAX-WS requirement that the wsdl be viewable at
http://endpointurl?wsdl, but arguably that is still met even if the WSDL
looks different to the human eye (because of the stylesheet) than it does
when processed by the machine.

Regards,
Glen