cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: First pass at resolution text....
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 18:43:44 GMT
On Friday 07 March 2008, Glen Mazza wrote:
> I don't understand the concern.  My last name is Italian but English
> sort order would still be expected.

That's because your "native" name is a western style "First name +
Surname" name.   For the Beijing folks, their "western name" like James
or Jim or something is not really part of their given name.   That's
something they chose themselves to make it easier for us to communicate
with them.  I really don't know if the "first part" of thier given name
is considered the surname or not.

Examples:
Willem Ning Jiang
Do I sort on "Ning" or "Jiang"?

James Maode Mao
Do I sort on Maode or Mao?  (not that it matters in this case)

In anycase, I didn't really want my lack of knowledge/experience with the
Chinese cultures to offend anyone.  It's purely because I just don't
know.  (but I'd be happy to learn!)

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp