cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: This caching/startup speedup project
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 14:59:22 GMT

JProfiler does grant licenses to opensource projects providing we provide
a "thank you" link back to them which, in general, we're OK with.
Several projects have done that:

Example:
http://ws.apache.org/axis2/thanks.html

Note: intellij does the same thing.

One important aspect is that the tool must be available for all the
committers in the community to work on the project.   Thus a "project"
license.   Some tools will say "we'll give you 5 licenses" or something.
I'm not OK with that.   JProbe tends to go the 5 licenses route.

The next trick is managing the license key itself (if there is one).   We
cannot put it up on the public website so, most likely, someone would
need to be the "key master" and send them out to community folks on
demand via email.

Either that or we could just take everyone's public gpg keys, encrypt
them as files for each person, and check them into svn someplace...  :-)

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA