cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Beryozkin" <sergey.beryoz...@iona.com>
Subject Re: JAX-RS custom provider spring config
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:51:43 GMT
Hi Barry

Lets move a discussion on CXF-1425 to this list.

In summary,
we're discussing with Barry whether a list of JAX-RS Entity Providers (which know how to marshal/unmarshal
given types) as
configured in a given spring xml, should override a default list or not.

IMHO it should not be the case. It would put a strain on users. Users do not need to know
about the fact that a given Book class
will only be marshalled if a JAXB-aware provider is installed. If a given set of returned
types is large then it will get
complicated. User just need to know about the content type, XMLRootElement and similar things.
Users do not need to know about class
names for individual default providers, this will form some sort of a contract between a runtime
and a user thus making it more
difficult for us to change the things under the hood.

For example, we can configure a Jetty handler, say we can add a Jetty handler. When doing
it we do not need to specify all other
types of handlers jetty may've set up under the hood. I believe we should follow the same
practise in this case.

As far as duplicates is conncerned : this is easy, lets just have a Set of full class names
for individual providers. That would do
for a start.

Thoughts ?

Cheers, Sergey