cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <dan.diepho...@mulesource.com>
Subject Re: CXF WS-Policy refactoring
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2008 23:18:24 GMT
+1 to fixing all these things. It definitely needs a combing over. I'm
completely OK with breaking the Policy APIs.

Some things to keep in mind while refactoring:
1. IIRC, its still only possible to use one policy version across the
whole runtime. Seems like a bad limitation.
2. There is no support for global polices which are enforced across all
servers. I tried figuring this out one day but got completely lost in
the code. :-(
3. Along the lines of #2, WSPolicyFeature.initialize(Bus) doesn't do the
right thing.

Good luck and I'll be happy to test stuff out down the road :-)

- Dan

Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
> Hi
>
> CXF WS-Policy framework needs a bit of refactoring. While it's already quite sophisticated
in what it can do, and some of its features are really cool, like the ability to add JAXB
derived assertions, the ability to attach policy expressions externally and inline from Spring
using WSPolicyFeature, etc, etc, there're few things which need to be fixed a bit :
> * how various policy subjects contribute to corrresponding effective policies
> * how policy alternatives are selected on the server and on the client (generally a server
has to support all the alternatives while the client can select only a single one)
> * automatic policy publication on the server side
> * policy engine needs to be enabled by default, etc...
>
> As such some breaking changes to interfaces like EndpointPolicy (which itself may go
in the end, with Policies just keyed by the type of policy subject), PolicyEngine, may need
to be applied. CXF does not allow for alternative PolicyEngine or EndpointPolicy implementations
be injected anyway. This should not have any adverse affect on any applications out there,
if any, which do rely on WSPolicy expressions, perhaps those dealing with WS-Addressing or
WS-RM or MTOM...

> Cheers, Sergey

> Registered Number: 171387

Dan Diephouse