cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: split manifest for jdk6 support
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 16:00:15 GMT

Personally, I'm -1 to this as it provides very little value to the user
(IMO) but will create LARGE headaches for us to support it.

The only real benifit to the user is a slightly smaller download.   In
the grand scheme of things, that's minor.

For us, we would need to maintain additional assemblies that are mostly
copies of the originals.   If you add/change something, we'd need to
make sure we update two places.   We also would need to
maintain/generate two different NOTICE files, it doubles the amount of
stuff we need to audit at release time, etc...   Snapshot deploys would
take longer.     I personally thing we just need to make sure the kit
works properly for both jdk1.5 and 1.6.   Maybe add a "setup_jdk16"
script or something that helps.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp