cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: exit xmime:contentType, stage left?
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:07:30 GMT
I thought that the contentType attribute looked really clever and useful
for my goal of using MTOM to solve the XML 1.0 issue. In fact, I made
Aegis do this all the time. So if I've really drunk the wrong koolaid
with the XMIME standard, we probably need to undo what I did to Aegis.

Needless to say, I found the MIME type business on the Metro site. With
some pretty silly bugs in the description (a restriction instead of an
extension), but it was there.

The problem is that, for the problem I was trying to solve, I really
wanted a more deterministic approach to MTOM than the mush with the
service-level flag plus the threshold. The content-type attribute seemed
just the ticket to allowing deciding when MTOM was desired,
deterministically, in the JavaScript code generator. In Aegis, as you
will see, I arranged for the entire XMIME XSD, that I collected from the
W3C, to be added to the WSDL. If all else fails, I guess I could now
make the JavaScript do the entire nondeterministic threshold-based
feature business.

Could we do that in JAXB?

An alternative to the XMIME thing would be to add a CXF-specific
annotation that marked an element as wanting (or not) XMIME. That, of
course, would be easier after you find time to implement the annotation
code you are planning to implement.