cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Benson Margulies" <bim2...@basistech.com>
Subject RE: tools for javascript
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2007 03:00:12 GMT
James,

The original code we donated was a wsdl2js tool. That tool disolved as I
reimplemented its core as code in the rt/javascript project. That new
code in there can generate a Javascript client based on a service model.

In the rest of CXF, we have code to make service models from WSDL and
from Java.

While the ?js URL is a great idea, my feeling is that we need to also
provide tools (command-line and Maven) for these tasks.

I am not very sure of the appropriate modularity. On the javato side, I
can see that this could fit into the existing implementation of java2ws
pretty easily. Would we just add a -javascript argument to that tool?
Personally, I would prefer to have it be a separate command line, even
if it shared 99% of the code with the existing tool. However, that is
not a very well-developed preference, and if everyone else prefers to
just add syntax to java2ws, I will go there.

I haven't look at wsdl2java, but I believe that it's a very thin layer
on the JAX-WS/JAXB RI. So I'm not sure how much sharing makes sense in
that case.

As for the wsdl extension, I would like to support a CXF-defined
namespace to carry some javascript-specific information around in the
wsdl. I think it would live at the level of a service. It would make
sense to worry about this \last/.

--benson