cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject DataReader<T> API, Dans or other designers please comment
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2007 23:39:05 GMT
The DataReader API has three forms of read. In the absence of javadoc
comments on them, I write to try to fill in the picture of how we want
these to work.

    Object read(T input);
    Object read(MessagePartInfo part, T input);
    Object read(QName name, T input, Class type);

Looking at the implementations, I've seen some, ahem, variations in the
handling of the parameters.

In the cases I can see, the binding uses the Class parameter (or one
derived from the part) to look for special cases where the callers wants
to get back some special artifact, or, particularly in the part case, to
organize complex operations related to wrapping.

I wonder, though, why the code in the second two cases should vary from
binding to binding.

I think I know part of the answer: the boundary between the front-end
and the databinding is not as sharp as I had thought. Bindings uses
these APIs to get involved the method parameters to some extent.

What I'd really like to do is to collect a clear set of explanations and
put them into the javadoc.