cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Glynn, Eoghan" <eoghan.gl...@iona.com>
Subject Using verbs other than GET from a RESTful client application
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:20:28 GMT

Folks,

Does CXF support usage of verbs other than GET from a RESTful client
application? (taking the HTTP binding approach as opposed to JAX-WS
Provider/Dispatch)

Or more specifically, does the CXF HTTP binding support injection into
parameterized URIs and payload construction for POST, PUT & DELETE?

I notice that the RestClientServerBookTest only excercies
BookService.get{Book|Books|AnotherBook}, but not
BookService.{update|add|delete}Book.

Similarly the restful_http_binding demo only calls GET-based operations
from the programmatic client, and relies on the wget utility to drive
the POST, PUT & DELETE-based operations.

Calling for example Customer.updateCustomer() from the client code
results in a broken target URI (just "/xml" as opposed to
"/xml/customers/123") and an empty request body.

Does anyone know if this is a known restriction of the HTTP binding
(that the demo and system have carefully side-stepped), or just a bug,
or would it be expected to work?

I know there's a separate problem with DELETE
(java.net.ProtocolException: HTTP method DELETE doesn't support output),
but I would have expected POST and PUT to work from client code.

Cheers,
Eoghan

Registered Number: 171387