cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Benson Margulies" <bim2...@basistech.com>
Subject Willem's NPE
Date Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:24:33 GMT
The NPE is very simple. Sometimes, and I can't explain when, the Jetty
connector does not create its server socket when we think it does. The
fix is to call .open() on the connector before asking it for the socket
for the purpose of setReuseAddress.

I cannot explain why only some runs of the systests from mvn come up
with this situation, while other runs don't and I've never persuaded it
to malfunction in Eclipse, try though I might. The jetty lifecycle
doStart calls open on the connector. I'm led to wonder if there is some
case in which we reuse the connector object so it doesn't get 'start-ed'
again. I would suggest adding more assertions to the EngineLifecycleTest
to verify that things are really shut down when they are supposed to be.

In terms of the original task, which was to set ReuseAddress so that
tests that flip-flop the server could run without incident, I wonder how
we want this to work in the general feature case.

There is a possible security exposure involved in routinely turning on
setReuseAddress. So I think that it should be parameterized in the
configuration XML.