cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: arrays of nil versus nil array
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:34:39 GMT

Benson,

This depends on if you are using Aegis or JAXB (and is one area where
Aegis has the advantage).     JAXB maps this to:

<element type="string" maxOccurs="unbounded" minOccurs="1"
nillable="true" name="bleep"/>

In that case, the nillable does NOT apply to the entire array.   Just the
elements in the array.   (the nillable applies for each "bleep" element
written out.) With the jaxb mapping, there is no way to distinguish
between:

bleep = null;
and
bleep = new String[0];

Both cases would result in no "bleep" elements being written on the wire.
I think CXF maps both to "null" on the receiving side of the wire.

bleep = new String[] {null};
would result in a single bleep element with nil="true" set.

Aegis, on the other hand, maps it to:
<element type="ArrayOfString" nillable="true" name="bleep"/>
which does allow the distinction as the array itself is represented by
the bleep element, and the array items are represented by the element
inside of the ArrayOfString type.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp