cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Liu, Jervis" <j...@iona.com>
Subject REST support in 2.1 [WAS RE: 2.1 thoughts......]
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 08:22:46 GMT
Hi I would like to see more REST support in 2.1. Following are items we may want to consider:

1. JSR311 support: IMO this is something we definitely want to go with. Not only because JSR311
enables you do REST in a standard way, but also because JSR311 API does enforce you to design
your REST system in a more resource-oriented sense, hopefully this will partially resolve
a long debating topic in the REST community: how to design a real resource-oriented REST system
instead of a service-oriented system.

[1]. JCP home page of JSR311:  <http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=311> http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=311
[2]. JSR311 draft spec:  <https://jsr311.dev.java.net/> https://jsr311.dev.java.net/
[3]. Jersey, an implementation of JSR311:  <https://jersey.dev.java.net/> https://jersey.dev.java.net/

2. WSDL 2.0 HTTP Binding:  WSDL2.0 HTTP binding itself is not about REST, but it does provide
you a decent way to do POX (plain-old-XML) over HTTP, which enables you to do REST. This is
something we want to support as well. However, support WSDL2.0 is a huge effort, I am not
sure whether or not CXF community is ready to go this direction, especially considering the
fact that there aren't many users are actually using WSDL2.0 yet, nor does many web service
framework vendors support WSDL2.0. So my question is, do we want to do WSDL2.0 now?

To take the advantage of WSDL 2.0 HTTP binding, you have to upgrade all your WSDLs to 2.0
first. This sounds like a big limitation to me. I wonder if there is any alternatives, for
example, is it possible to develop a WSDL2.0 style HTTP binding extension for WSDL1.1? We
can view this as an upgrading of our current HTTP binding support. The different though, is
we can now map URI/HTTP verb combinations to java operations in WSDL binding part without
using Java REST Annotations in our POJOs or SEI.

[4]. WSDL2.0 HTTP binding:  <http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20-adjuncts/> http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20-adjuncts/

Cheers,
Jervis

Registered Number: 171387