cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff.Yu" <jeff...@iona.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Sample Improvement
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:45:30 GMT
Hi, Glen

Thanks for your comment, see my comments inline.

Thanks
Jeff

Glen Mazza wrote:
> Hello Jeff,
>
> Here's my comments on each patch.
>
> Patch #901:
> 1.)
>
> +    <target name="copy-war-libs" unless="without.libs">
> +    	<copy todir="${war-lib}">
> +    	   <fileset dir="${cxf.home}/modules">
> +					<include name="cxf-*.jar" />
> +    		</fileset>
> +    		<fileset dir="${cxf.home}/lib">
> +    		   <exclude name="servlet-api-*.jar" />
> +           <exclude name="geronimo-servlet_*.jar" />
> +           <exclude name="cxf-*.jar" />
> +    		</fileset>
> +    	</copy>
>      </target>
>
> I think the listing of jar files needed should be explicitly listed via
> <includes/> (even if there are 40 of them--remember this is only done
> once in the common_build.xml), not *all* included but just having a few
> left out via <excludes/>.  This also will provide us a crisp,
> authoritative list of precisely what is needed to run CXF.  Using
> excludes over time might result in unneeded jars getting into the WAR
> files (i.e., we add a JAR file to the /lib directory but forget to
> exclude it here.)

Well, I don't think we need to list them, because in fact we include *all* the jars. Allowing
me explain a little bit on this.
Currently, we have two flavors CXF jar, one is all-in-one jar, called cxf-2.1-incubator.jar;
the other is module-based jar, which is listed in the "${cxf.home}/modules",
for the WARs, we used the module-based jars, so we need to exclude the all-in-one jar.
The reason why I excluded those two servlet jars, because we deploy it into a servlet-container,
there is no need to have these two servlet jars.

> 2.)
>
> Deploy the application into APACHE TOMCAT with the commond:
> +  ant deploy-tomcat
>
> Undeploy the application from the APACHE TOMCAT with the command:
> +  ant undeploy-tomcat
>

> Can the instructions on tomcat-deploy and tomcat-undeploy be moved to
> the common samples README without too much loss in user understanding,
> instead of being copied in every sample application's instructions?
> That would greatly simplify maintenance.  (BTW, it's nice that you got
> rid of that redundant -Dtomcat = true option)

I think it is better for us to keep it in those specific samples, first of all, not all samples
have this "running demo in a servlet container", only 7 or 8 samples,
and for these samples, since it has this specific section, it would be better for us to keep
it in this section.

> Patch #902:
> 3.)  Is the idea of supporting Java-first web services *without* adding
> annotations[1] supported by the JAX-WS standard?  I believe this is what
> this sample is about, correct?  I'm not certain why we should be
> encouraging this style of coding--it doesn't seem very rigorous to
> program web services this way.
>
> This is mainly a philosophical concern, not a comment on the code as a
> whole.
>
> [1] http://cwiki.apache.org/CXF20DOC/simple-frontend.html

Yes, you are right, it doesn't have the annotation (JSR-181), it is another front-end (POJO
based) other than JAX-WS front-end.
we are not encouraging it, but we need to have a sample for the completeness, we will leave
the decision to users.

> 4.)  I would take a look at this patch (#902) again--are their any
> classes or interfaces being used which are *identical* to ones in other
> samples?  I don't know how others feel, but I would just reference them
> in the ant.build file when compiling and creating the WAR file, instead
> of constantly recreating identical classes.  This will also help us in
> the future when we starting factoring out common classes that are used
> by multiple samples.

I don't like reusing too much, but I would like to hear others comments on this...