cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Graduating.....
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:51:56 GMT

In the July board report (see http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2007),
one of the comments presented directly in the summary was:
"CXF should probably be starting to push for graduation, too, except for
diversity being a concern"

Since the IPMC seems to think we're getting close, I definitely think we
should start seriously talking about it.

My thoughts:
In the last year, the CXF community has made huge milestones towards
acting like an Apache Community and following Apache guidelines.
We've successfully released two milestone releases and one full release,
and a patch release is pending.   In all cases, we've done as much as
possible of the work design work on this list, in the JIRA, and on the
Wiki.

We've tried hard to to respond to our users to make them successful with
CXF.   Several of them have submitted back patches and we've received a
TON of good suggestions and reports.   2.0.1 is a testament to how well
we were able to do that.

The main concern, of course, is diversity.   There are a bunch of IONA
folks, however, we do meet the criteria of 3 or more independent
commiters with IBM represented, obviously Envoi Solutions,  a couple of
independents.   We also have a couple folks that have been submitting
patches and are getting "close".       That all said, despite having a
lot of IONA folks, I think we've done a good job keeping the development
open and in the community.   That's the more important thing.

Anyway, how do the rest of you feel?    Are we there?

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer