cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject 2.1 thoughts......
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:13:34 GMT

With 2.0.1 almost out the door (getting votes when everyone is on
vacation sucks), I'd like to take a minute to think about what should go
into 2.1.   We've tossed around a bunch of ideas and I'd like to get
them written down.   I'll probably start a "wish list" wiki page once
the ideas get flowing, but for now, here's my list of stuff I've seen
floating around:

1) JAX-WS 2.1/JAXB 2.1 - this is a fairly large amount of work as there
are  some very significant changes that will involve code generation
changes, java -> wsdl  changes, runtime support changes, etc....

2) Data bindings - XmlBeans and JIBX have been on the list for a while
and I'm sure more XFire folks could find CXF more useful if we got those
working.    There are two parts: runtime and tooling.

3) JavaScript stuff - the javascript frontend needs some refactoring to
allow calling other services with it, make it not dependent on the jaxws
frontend, etc....   Also the js donation from Basis Tech would be great
to get wired in.   (if we can get the grant set, too many people on
vacation)

4) Rest stuff - all the buzzword compatible stuff.   :-)

5) WS-* specs - do we have time to tackle any more of these at this
point?   Which ones should we prioritize?

6) OSGI bundling - I think adding simple OSGI manifests for our jars
would be fairly easy.    However, should we create some "bundles" to
represent common functionality?  (like JAX-WS/SOAP/HTTP bundle)

I hate to ask for more ideas as that alone is a TON of work, but at this
point, let's get the ideas flowing.   :-)

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer