cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to deploy to JBoss?
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 15:20:14 GMT
On Friday 03 August 2007 09:19, Christopher Moesel wrote:
> Just wondering-- has any thought been given to having the examples use
> maven rather than ANT?  I suspect that a conscious decision has been
> made NOT to use Maven for the examples-- because the examples are the
> only part of the project that doesn't use Maven.

This is something I've been tossing around for ages, I just haven't had
time to figure out completely how to get it to work "well".   Every time
I need to bring a sample up in eclipse to show someone something, the
fact that I cannot just do "mvn eclipse:eclipse" drives me nuts.
Getting the samples into eclipse currently sucks.

There are a couple of issues:
1) "offline mode"  or "using the jars in the kits" issues:  Maven will go
off the repository and download stuff just fine.   However, if you're
offline, the samples won't work very well unless you built them online
first.   The latest version of the assembly plugin does have the ability
to create a "repository" directory which the samples could point to.   I
just haven't had time to look into what would be involved in that.
Also, that would increase the download size a bit (the jars in /lib as
well as /repository).

2) Launching clients and servers - the servers would be easy via
something like "mvn jetty:run" or something.    Clients to hit those are
a bit more involved.   Ant is nice in that you can just do "ant server"
and "ant client".     With maven, the best we could do is "mvn -Pserver"
and "mvn -Pclient".

3) There's also a couple of "release" related issues, which as the
defacto release manager, I need to keep in mind.   #1 is that currently,
we just suck in the samples directory as-is.   If we go maven, I'd need
to update things to filter in a version number into all the poms.
Unfortunately, that is NOT easy.  (actually, may not even be possible
right now, you cannot filter poms very well.)     The alternative is to
actually wire all the samples into the -Peverything build so they would
get "released" with "mvn release:prepare" and deployed to the
repositories and stuff.    I'm not sure we want to put all the samples
into the maven repository.

4) Depending on the fix for (1), there is the "testing kits for votes"
issues.   If there isn't a "repository" in the kit itself, testing the
samples as part of validating the kits before a release will be "hard".
The jars only go to the repository if/when the vote passes.   Thus, the
samples would not be able to download the jars without updating the poms
to find the staging area.

Anyway, I do think about this periodically.   It's just a bit more
complicated than "change to maven".   It requires a bit more thought
than just that.   My personal motivation is to make it easier to get the
demos into eclipse.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp