cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CONF] Apache CXF 2.0 Documentation: Jetty Configuration (page edited)
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:49:03 GMT
On Monday 06 August 2007 09:00, Glen Mazza wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2007, 20:41 -0700 schrieb confluence@apache.org:
> > Page Edited : CXF20DOC : Jetty Configuration
> > Jetty Configuration has been edited by willem jiang (Aug 05, 2007).
> >
> > Content:
> > Configuring the Jetty Runtime
> > Overview
> > The Jetty runtime is used by HTTP servers and HTTP clients using a
> > decoupled endpoint. The Jetty runtime's thread pool, connector and
> > handlers can be configured. You can also set a number of the
> > security settings for an HTTP service provider through the Jetty
> > runtime.
>
> I am confused by this.  The writing above appears to indicate that
> Jetty plays a role in CXF even if you are using other servlet
> containers--is that true?  Or is the above explanation valid only when
> you are using the embedded servlet container option or explicitly
> moving the web service WAR file to the Jetty engine?

The above should be true in the cases where you're not running in another
servlet engine.   If you are running as a war inside Tomcat (or even the
Jetty servlet engine itself), that doesn't apply.

Basically, if you are writing a standalone application, the above
applies.   This usually involves one of two scenarios:

1) Your application starts it's own services (via Endpoint.publish(...)
for jaxws, but could be other API's or even via spring beans).   In
those cases, the embedded Jetty configuration applies.

2) Your writing a CLIENT application, but want to use WS-RM.   For WS-RM,
we need to create decoupled channels and such and those will use the
embedded Jetty as well.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer