cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Apache CXF - one year later.....
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 15:13:05 GMT

Today marks the one year anniversary of CXF coming to Apache.    One year
ago today, Jason van Zyl sent the first "Welcome" mail to this list.

It's probably a good time to think back over the last year and see what
we've accomplished.

First off: releases - we managed to produce 2 milestone releases along
with a full blown release.   The process to release the first patch has
started.   That's not too bad.   Moreover, the groundwork is now laid
which should allow us to produce releases more quickly and easily which
should allow us to be more agile and respond to users needs.

The 2.0 release is the first (and at this point, only) Apache Licensed,
Standalone Certified, JAX-WS implementation.  That's a huge
accomplishment.  That was the major bullet item on the incubator
proposal, and we accomplished it.

We also are integrated into Geronimo as an option for the JAX-WS
implementation there.   When they ship 2.0, the user will be able to
chose CXF for JAX-WS.   Geronimo certified FIRST with CXF.   That speaks
highly of the CXF community and it's ability to work well with the
Apache Geronimo community.   Other J2EE vendors are also looking at CXF
to provide the JAX-WS implementation.

User base:  with the full 2.0 release in the beginning of July, we've
definitely seen a spike in users looking at CXF and, more importantly,
using it and migrating applications to it.   If you look at the archives
of our user list
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cxf-user/)
The July post count was nearly tripple the max of any previous month.
(email overload.  :-)    In less than one month, we've had almost 6000
downloads of the 2.0 release, and that doesn't count the people that
would use maven and grab it that way.   This is an exciting time as
people start using CXF in ways the developers never imagined, stretching
limits, etc...

Community:  The CXF community is quite active.   The dev list constantly
has discussions going on, people participating, etc...   If you look at
our stats on Ohloh (http://www.ohloh.net/projects/4982), over the last
year, 22 developers have contributed code.   Ohloh considers that a
large community.    (Note to devs:  Ohloh warns "Few source code
comments".   We need to work on that.  :-)   Doing some stats on logs,
over the last 6 months, every month has had at least 10 unique commiters
contributing code.   The funniest Ohloh stat:  190,825 LOC, Effort: 49
person years, Value: $2,687,418.   22 people did 49 Person years of work
in one year.   Nice job.   Anyone feeling underpaid?   :-)

We've added 4 new commiters, and with the increase in activity due to the
release, several others are "getting close".  The extra eyes and hands
have helped make CXF a much better product and meet more needs than we
could have done without them.

Also, who can forget: we changed our name.   The impossible to type
CeltiXfire was replace with the simple CXF name.

Anyway, the past year has been extremely exciting to me.   We've
accomplished a LOT in a very little amount of time.   We've had our ups
and downs.   Any new community at Apache has it's "learning
experiences," but we got through them as a community and I'm definitely
looking forward to seeing what the next year will bring.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer