cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Sample Improvement
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:58:51 GMT
Hello Jeff,

Here's my comments on each patch.

Patch #901:
1.)

+    <target name="copy-war-libs" unless="without.libs">
+    	<copy todir="${war-lib}">
+    	   <fileset dir="${cxf.home}/modules">
+					<include name="cxf-*.jar" />
+    		</fileset>
+    		<fileset dir="${cxf.home}/lib">
+    		   <exclude name="servlet-api-*.jar" />
+           <exclude name="geronimo-servlet_*.jar" />
+           <exclude name="cxf-*.jar" />
+    		</fileset>
+    	</copy>
     </target>

I think the listing of jar files needed should be explicitly listed via
<includes/> (even if there are 40 of them--remember this is only done
once in the common_build.xml), not *all* included but just having a few
left out via <excludes/>.  This also will provide us a crisp,
authoritative list of precisely what is needed to run CXF.  Using
excludes over time might result in unneeded jars getting into the WAR
files (i.e., we add a JAR file to the /lib directory but forget to
exclude it here.)

2.)

Deploy the application into APACHE TOMCAT with the commond:
+  ant deploy-tomcat

Undeploy the application from the APACHE TOMCAT with the command:
+  ant undeploy-tomcat

Can the instructions on tomcat-deploy and tomcat-undeploy be moved to
the common samples README without too much loss in user understanding,
instead of being copied in every sample application's instructions?
That would greatly simplify maintenance.  (BTW, it's nice that you got
rid of that redundant -Dtomcat = true option)

Patch #902:
3.)  Is the idea of supporting Java-first web services *without* adding
annotations[1] supported by the JAX-WS standard?  I believe this is what
this sample is about, correct?  I'm not certain why we should be
encouraging this style of coding--it doesn't seem very rigorous to
program web services this way.

This is mainly a philosophical concern, not a comment on the code as a
whole.

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/CXF20DOC/simple-frontend.html

4.)  I would take a look at this patch (#902) again--are their any
classes or interfaces being used which are *identical* to ones in other
samples?  I don't know how others feel, but I would just reference them
in the ant.build file when compiling and creating the WAR file, instead
of constantly recreating identical classes.  This will also help us in
the future when we starting factoring out common classes that are used
by multiple samples.

Regards,
Glen