cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Graduating.....
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 01:19:06 GMT
Am Dienstag, den 07.08.2007, 21:49 -0400 schrieb Daniel Kulp:

> Jim,
>
> I really appreciate the candid response.   Thanks for that.
>
> So, the question becomes: what can we do to help others get more involved
> in the CXF code?   That question is open to the non-commiters as well.
> What can we do to help you?

Personally speaking, I would very much like to move beyond my usual
grammar checking and coding suggestions.  If people know of simpler
tasks that are rather independent of other people's work, things I can
do to start moving up the next few steps, emailing me privately or on
this list would be appreciated.  I plan on spending more time looking at
the JIRA's myself next week.

(BTW, I will out of town Friday thru Monday, not returning until Tuesday
morning Wash DC time, so after tomorrow will not be able to respond to
anything until then.)

> I was sitting around trying to brainstorm with some folks this afternoon
> and thought of one idea (I'll give Debbie credit for this):  is there a
> way to mark tasks in Jira with an difficulty level?    If we could mark
> some tasks as "Easy" as opposed to "Yea Right", that could make it much
> easier for a new person to find something to get their feet wet.  Jim:
> since you're probably the only one with Jira admin access, is that
> something that can be done?  Add a "Difficulty" or "Complexity"
> attribute with levels like "Unknown, Trivial, Easy, Medium, Difficult,
> Yea Right"?   (I know VERY little about what Jira can do.)   If we
> decide this is a good idea, is this something we need to file through
> Infrastructure?

Well, it might not look good for a user to be submitting a patch, and
for us to declare it "difficult" or "complex" or whatever.  I don't see
this as that important anyway.  As contributors start looking around
JIRA, and also study more, they can start to figure out more of where
they can be of help.

Also, frequently, it is not just "easy" or "hard"--it is also
"interesting" or "applicable to what I want to focus on", etc.

Regards,
Glen