cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: How to deploy to JBoss?
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2007 21:45:21 GMT
Personally, I'm OK with Ant, at least for the code samples--I think it
does a better job of showing both the "what" and the "how" involved in
web service creation, helpful for newbies trying to understand the build
and deployment process, and it is still better integrated than Maven
right now in the various IDEs.

What I'd like to see us reevaluate though is our continued use of
embedded (Jetty) servlet containers.  J2SE 6 has the endpoint interface
now[1] that should make embedded containers unnecessary.  But also I
think that learning how to deploy/redeploy web service WAR files or EJB
JAR files to an App Server is such a fundamental part of programming
Java web services that we should be encouraging that as early on as
possible.

Once the user installs Tomcat, he/she could enter the Tomcat Catalina
home directory in an Ant parent build.xml file and after that, the
build.xml files in the sample directories would be able to provide the
user build/WAR/deploy/redeploy targets for each of the samples.  (Users
may need to also store a Tomcat manager username/password though for
redeploying.) Or, if they use something else besides Tomcat, they can
still use our build.xml up to the "WAR" part, and then use their own
deploy/undeploy tasks for their particular server.

When I started out a couple of months back with CXF, I downloaded the
samples, and dutifully ran "ant server" in one terminal window and "ant
client" in the other, and it indeed worked--but I didn't really learn
much from that.  To me, it was a loss of time from what a newbie really
needs to learn--namely, again, compiling this service into a WAR file,
and then moving that WAR file onto Tomcat, and then getting the Ant
deploy/redeploy cycle working well.

Glen

[1] https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/guide/Using_JAX_WS_2_1_with_JavaSE6.html