cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Beryozkin" <sergey.beryoz...@iona.com>
Subject Re: 2.1 thoughts......
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:41:27 GMT
> Am wondering if an AtomPub binding could be simpler and a little
> cleverer; as AtomPub automatically understands collections &
> navigations through types together with the basic operations. e.g.
> relationships, collections, add/remove/update semantics etc.

Making it easy to publish programmatically any kind of events the developer can think of from
their interceptors/application code as
atom feeds would be nice IMHO, the Atom publisher can be just one optional pluggable publisher...
Personally, I'm not quite sure whether the Atom-formatted response can serve as a generic
data container for all types of data out
there, this is at least one of the reasons (as far as I understand) Web3S came out...That
said, it's an interesting idea

> Another thing I'd like to see is some tooling/maven plugins/whatever
> so folks can do contract first development, but instead of having to
> edit WSDL, they could just edit RelaxNG Compact Syntax to define the
> structure of messages; which then could auto-generate the XSD / WSDL.

+1 again.

Cheers, Sergey

> I'd love to see AtomPub support as a new kinda front end / binding.
> http://atompub.org/rfc4287.html
>
> I've had brief conversations in bars in various coutries in the past
> with DanD about this - previously we looked at some annotations to
> expose RESTful resources using individual annotations on operations;
> to bind a specific method/property to a URI etc.
>
> Am wondering if an AtomPub binding could be simpler and a little
> cleverer; as AtomPub automatically understands collections &
> navigations through types together with the basic operations. e.g.
> relationships, collections, add/remove/update semantics etc.
>

> Another thing I'd like to see is some tooling/maven plugins/whatever
> so folks can do contract first development, but instead of having to
> edit WSDL, they could just edit RelaxNG Compact Syntax to define the
> structure of messages; which then could auto-generate the XSD / WSDL.
> Or even supply some example XML documents - which by using Trang could
> then generate the XSD/WSDL. For more background see...
> http://www.nabble.com/contract-first-using-either-XSD-or-XML-plus-Trang-tf3679800.html#a10288179
>

> On 8/7/07, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> With 2.0.1 almost out the door (getting votes when everyone is on
>> vacation sucks), I'd like to take a minute to think about what should go
>> into 2.1.   We've tossed around a bunch of ideas and I'd like to get
>> them written down.   I'll probably start a "wish list" wiki page once
>> the ideas get flowing, but for now, here's my list of stuff I've seen
>> floating around:
>>
>> 1) JAX-WS 2.1/JAXB 2.1 - this is a fairly large amount of work as there
>> are  some very significant changes that will involve code generation
>> changes, java -> wsdl  changes, runtime support changes, etc....
>>
>> 2) Data bindings - XmlBeans and JIBX have been on the list for a while
>> and I'm sure more XFire folks could find CXF more useful if we got those
>> working.    There are two parts: runtime and tooling.
>>
>> 3) JavaScript stuff - the javascript frontend needs some refactoring to
>> allow calling other services with it, make it not dependent on the jaxws
>> frontend, etc....   Also the js donation from Basis Tech would be great
>> to get wired in.   (if we can get the grant set, too many people on
>> vacation)
>>
>> 4) Rest stuff - all the buzzword compatible stuff.   :-)
>>
>> 5) WS-* specs - do we have time to tackle any more of these at this
>> point?   Which ones should we prioritize?
>>
>> 6) OSGI bundling - I think adding simple OSGI manifests for our jars
>> would be fairly easy.    However, should we create some "bundles" to
>> represent common functionality?  (like JAX-WS/SOAP/HTTP bundle)
>>

>> I hate to ask for more ideas as that alone is a TON of work, but at this
>> point, let's get the ideas flowing.   :-)

> [...]

Registered Number: 171387