cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept the wsdl2js stuff donated by Basis Technology
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:41:59 GMT
On Tuesday 31 July 2007 11:07, Glen Mazza wrote:
> I have one concern about this--not the software itself, but the way it
> is being donated[1]--software grant instead of the JIRA "donate to
> ASF" button.  I would like to make sure that the software grant method
> does not limit our refactoring opportunities with the code compared to
> the "donate to ASF" button option.

The "donate to ASF" button is mostly designed for "trivial" fixes and
enhancements to existing functionality developed specifically as
enhancements to that functionality.

The grants are for "importing" new functionality that was developed
outside the project, possibly under a different license, etc...    The
grant process is mostly a "legal" thing to make sure the license is OK,
there aren't any license restrictions, etc...   It's designed to protect
the contributor as well as the ASF from legal questions about where the
code came from and such.

Once the grant completes, the code is part of the project and is
completely under the Apache License and we can do whatever needs to be
done to integrate it in better.   It's just a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo
to make sure everyone is protected properly.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer