cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Smyth <andrea.sm...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Schema Locations
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:18:00 GMT
Dan Diephouse wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Andrea Smyth <andrea.smyth@iona.com> wrote:
>

>> Dan Diephouse wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Andrea,
>> >
>> > Just had one minor piece of feedback on your commit to change the
>> > Schema locations. Would you be OK with changing the schema locations
>> > to something like:
>> >
>> > http://cxf.apache.org/schemas/2.0/http.xsd
>> >
>> > instead of
>> >
>> > http://cxf.apache.org/schemas/wsdl/http-conf.xsd
>> >
>> > While I like the symmetry between the classpath and the schema
>> > location, I see a couple issues:
>>
>> > 1. /wsdl/ shouldn't really be in the URI for a spring schema
>> > 2. -conf is kind of redundant
>>
>> I agree with you on the naming - it's quite awful, and there are way too
>> many namespaces (but that's another issue).
>> For now,  I would like to use URIs that can a) be derived very simply
>> from other information that we have (i.e. their actual location in the
>> trunk) and b) where the underlying  schema can potentially be made
>> available on the web. See wiki page
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/CXF20DOC/schemas-and-namespaces.html I started
>> on that, and on which I want to complete the table.
>> If someone wants to change the URI for one schema, name and  location of
>> the schema should be changed at the same time to avoid confusion - after
>> all the latter is the least work. The real pain is in updating
>> references in schemaLocation attributes, not just on cfg files but in
>> other schemas and catalog files as well.
>

> Yeah, I like how the locations are symettric with the classpath
> locations. I
> think I'd just like to move our schemas from the schemas/wsdl
> directories to
> the schemas/ directory. I can go ahead and do that if its ok with you.

Sure, go ahead.
But remember that (because neither JMS not HTTP beans inherit from JAXB
generated code), I have split the http-conf.xsd and jms.xsd into two
schema files - one located in schemas/wsdl as before and the split off
part in schemas/configuration. No code is generated from the latter, and
both parts have same target namespace. For valid spring cfg files you
only need to specify the schemaLocation the latter in the cfg files
schemaLocation attribute (Spring pulls in the included schemas if
necessary).

Andrea.

>> 3. I think it might be good to have the version # as we previously
>> > discussed in the location. Lets say we change the namespace in our
>> > schema for 2.1, then we effectively need to host two schemas at the
>> > same location with the current location URI.
>>
>> What about redirecton as I suggested in an earlier mail?
>> "For reasons outlined below I tend towards not using a version number in
>> the URI, but instead adopt the convention that
>> http://cxf.apache.org/schemas/x.y contains the schemas for version x.y
>> and that  http://cxf.apache.org/schemas/ directs to the current
>> version. "
>>
>> Unless we maintain versions of schemas, bean definition parsers etc. in
>> one product version, and IMO this is a real pain, many cfg files become
>> unnecessarily invalid.\
>

> OK, I see now what you were proposing - I misunderstood before. Once
> we move
> to 2.1 we can copy 2.0 schemas to schemas/2.0/ and if people want to
> strictly stay with that schema they can change their location
> accordingly.
> Sounds good to me!
>
> Thanks!
> - Dan