cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request/ResponseContext of JaxWsClientProxy
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 18:54:31 GMT

On Friday 04 May 2007 14:15, Jarek Gawor wrote:
> I have noticed that the RequestContext and ResponseContext of
> JaxWsClientProxy is associated with the thread and not the instance of
> the proxy. My understanding is that it should be associated with the
> instance but I can't find any specific documentation on this issue in
> the specs.

I was afraid this issue was going to come up.  :-(

Basically, there isn't a way to make the proxies thread safe without
making them ThreadLocals.   The main problem this causes is that one
thread cannot configure a global proxy that is then used on other
threads.   The configuration is lost.

The ResponseContext really needs to be ThreadLocal.   It's the context
information for the last request.  If you have two threads making
requests, if it wasn't local, you'd have no idea what the response
correlated too.

For the request, there are a few options:
1) Keep it thread local - this is thread safe, but has the config issues.
2) Have a "default" one that is used until the first invoke on a thread.
It then gets copied to the ThreadLocal.
3) Make it non-local - this has other concurrency issues.

Definitely something I'll need to noodle on a bit more to figure out all
the ramifications of the various options.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer