cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Smyth <andrea.sm...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Some quick thoughts on WSFeature and Policies
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:03:22 GMT
Dan Diephouse wrote:

> Re #1 - Couldn't sleep last night, so what you got instead was a tome on
> configuration and policy!
>
> Both form support schema based configuration - WS-Policy vs Spring XML.
> However the WSFeature stuff also allows the more flexible Spring <bean>
> based approach.
>
> With the WS-Policy scenario what happens is you first write your schema.
> Then you write interceptors which get inserted into the chain when your
> policy assertion is active. This interceptor reads the policy the user
> asserted and use it to configure future interceptors.

This is not the case for RM or addressing. No additional interceptors
were written - instead the existing rm and addressing interceptors were
modified to
a) retrieve the effective policy
b) exhibit operation and message type specific behaviour (previously
only endpoint specific or global) and confirm wether or not they were
able to do so.

The ability to apply features on a more granular basis than
service/endpoint is what distinguishes the WS-Policy approach from the
all our Spring based configuration approaches - whether they use
WSFeature beans or not.

Andrea.