cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Soltysik, Seumas" <Seumas.Solty...@iona.com>
Subject Managing Features via JMX
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:14:58 GMT
I am just coming up to speed on the use of Features in CXF and I like the concept of having
a single class responsible for managing all the pieces of a particular behaviour. What would
make this feature even better would be to create the infrastructure to manage these features
via JMX. So for instance if I had a series of interceptors that comprised a performance metrics
feature, I would like to be able to toggle this capability on an off at runtime. Currently
the AbstractFeature class does not have the appropriate life-cycle methods for doing this.
It would be good if there was a toggleFeature() method or a turnOffFeature() method. This
might need to be accompanied by a reinitialize() method as well.

In addition, it would be nice if a user could dynamically deploy a feature at runtime even
if it had not previously been deployed. The key to doing this would be to be able to get access
the Spring ApplicationContext and pass it a Spring configuration file, url, etc. in order
to create the Feature. Once the user had a handle to the feature they could initialize it
with the desired InterceptorProvider. On a slight tangent, there have been many times that
I would have liked to have access the the Spring ApplicationContext at runtime. What about
making the Spring ApplicationContext available via a Bus extensor?

Also from a management perspective it would be nice to be able to query what Features were
currently deployed to an InterceptorProvidor. This might require adding a getName() method
to the AbstractFeature class in order for a user to identify the particular desired feature.

Regards,
Seumas