cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Diephouse" <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Release Update
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:21:08 GMT
Hi folks,

We're getting to the point that I think we're closing in on our next
release. So I'd like to recap the big issues that are outstanding that I
see:

- WS-Security & SecureConversation & Trust - I would really really like to
see us be able to support this for interop with WCF.
- Tooling refactoring
  (this includes cleanup of java2wsdl in runtime, I want to see wsdl
generation using the service model from our service factories before a
release)
- JAX-WS TCK Testing (see below)
- CXF-28: Nice XML - we should finish moving away from our property editors
to spring 2.0 handlers
- We have no service routing story or examples
- schema duplication in common/metacode?
- Other open JIRAs

We are also in BIG need of documentation. Specifically:
- Using Spring 2.0 config syntax
- HTTP Transport
- WS-RM
- WS-Policy
- XFire migration docs
- Using Aegis databinding
- Using WSDL2Java & Java2WSDL in Maven & Ant

At this point I see the following features probably being pushed to 2.1:
- WSDL 2.0 support
- XMLBeans support (this may or may not be possible to integrate in as part
of the Aegis module, the big question is tooling - any volunteers?)
- Any other WS-* work

Re: JAX-WS - Can someone do some legwork and check if Apache will let us do
a 2.0 final release without passing the TCK? Then we can focus on passing
the TCK for 2.1. This would involve starting a discussion on
general@incubator. If we are positioning ourselves as just a JAX-WS
implementation I can see how they wouldn't let us do release. But I think
there are a lot of uses which don't center around JAX-WS that we focus on.
For instance, there are a lot of XFire users who aren't using the JAX-WS
features and so I would like to get them migrating ASAP so I can consolidate
bug fixes in one place. As long as we're clear that compliance is not
claimed we should be ok.

What other items do people see?

I think we should target starting a vote by March 30th, but we have a fair
amount to do before then I think you can see. Please claim any JIRA issues
you intend to tackle so its easier to see who is planning on working on
what. I'm incredibly excited to get a new release out. CXF is looking great
and its time for the world to really start using it!

(BTW, I am focusing in on the security specifications this week unless
someone else wants to volunteer. I could definitely spend some more time on
routing or Aegis instead)

- Dan
--
Dan Diephouse