cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Schuller <b.schul...@fz-juelich.de>
Subject Re: Support for stateful services in CXF
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:18:57 GMT
Hi Sergey,

thanks for your reply. The way you describe it, WS-Context goes into a similar direction.
IMO it does not matter much if you have a single instance or many instances of a stateful
service,
it's just a matter of taste and modelling preference.

Best regards,
Bernd.

Sergey Beryozkin wrote:

> What would be your opinion about investing the dev effort into WS-Context ? Prehaps the
high-level purpose of that spec is not to deal with bank-account scenarious but the idea would
be the same in that the account id will be an application-level *context*, passed as a header,
for example.
> The advantage is that there will be one Account instance ever which will deal with individial
accounts by picking up the application context from the header (account id).

 > Bernd Schuller wrote:
>> I was wondering about whether you think it is a good idea to add support for
>> stateful services to CXF.
>>
>> By "stateful" I mean you have multiple instances of a services sitting behind a common
>> frontend. These instances are disambiguated by some unique ID. Individual instances
can be addressed
>> using WS-Addressing. The instances are kept alive between service calls (either in
memory or persisted to a database).

>> For example, you might have a "bank account service"
>>
>> @Stateful @WebService
>> public class BankAccount{
>>
>>   @Unique
>>   public String accountNumber;
>>
>>   private Balance balance;
>>
>>   @WebMethod
>>   GetBalanceResponse public getBalance(GetBalanceRequest in){...}
>>
>> }
>>
>> There's a similar thing in Sun's JAX-WS RI, see
>> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kohsuke/archive/2006/10/stateful_web_se.html
>> which I think is fairly inflexible and can be greatly improved.
>>
>> Support for this style of services would be useful for implementing specs such as
WS-RF on top of CXF.

--
Dr. Bernd Schuller

Central Institute for Applied Mathematics
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH

mail  b.schuller@fz-juelich.de
phone +49 2461 61 8736
fax   +49 2461 61 6656