cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Schuller <b.schul...@fz-juelich.de>
Subject Support for stateful services in CXF
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 07:36:27 GMT
Hi all,

first, I'm new to CXF, so forgive my lack of detailed knowledge.

I was wondering about whether you think it is a good idea to add support for
stateful services to CXF.

By "stateful" I mean you have multiple instances of a services sitting behind a common
frontend. These instances are disambiguated by some unique ID. Individual instances can be
addressed
using WS-Addressing. The instances are kept alive between service calls (either in memory
or persisted to a database).

For example, you might have a "bank account service"

@Stateful @WebService
public class BankAccount{

   @Unique
   public String accountNumber;

   private Balance balance;

   @WebMethod
   GetBalanceResponse public getBalance(GetBalanceRequest in){...}

}

There's a similar thing in Sun's JAX-WS RI, see
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/kohsuke/archive/2006/10/stateful_web_se.html
which I think is fairly inflexible and can be greatly improved.

Support for this style of services would be useful for implementing specs such as WS-RF on
top of CXF.
I have implemented WS-RF on top of XFire, so I have some experience with this stuff, and would
very much like to give this a try with CXF.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Bernd.

--
Dr. Bernd Schuller

Central Institute for Applied Mathematics
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH

mail  b.schuller@fz-juelich.de
phone +49 2461 61 8736
fax   +49 2461 61 6656