cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Polar Humenn <phum...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Http Authentication Policy
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 21:20:41 GMT
Fred Dushin wrote:
> I don't get something you said ("anybody using it would have to
> subclass it anyway").

What I meant was, that if you were going to use the AuthenticationPolicy
object to return information, let's say from getUsername() from any
source other than the result of using the "setUsername()"  operation,
you'd have to subclass it changing getUsername() to do something else,
i.e. look it up in a file, get it as result of a login window, etc.
violating it's contract with "setUsername()", etc.

That maybe classified as "re-use", but more like reusing a bus to mow
your lawn.

> But more to the point, why isn't the current AuthenticationPolicy
> object (leaving aside issues with name choice) just an instance of
> your UserPass object (other than the fact that one is an interface and
> the other is not, or is that relevant?)  That's what I was getting at
> by "re-use", BTW.

My use of an interface for UserPass is merely a way to describe what is
being returned. We could very well specify to return one of these
AuthenticationPolicy objects.  We might have to modify this anyway to
think to return user password information for the proxy as well. More on
that later.

However, what's the purpose of returning an informational object in this
case in which you have "set" operations?

> Also, I am fundamentally opposed to defining an interface when you
> mean a struct.  Unless I am missing something about why you'd want
> UserPass to be an interface, or even anything other than a struct.

You mean "struct" as just a Java class with fields? Sure, but I thought
we had "checkstyle" hogwartiners preventing us from accessing fields
with out "get" operations.

> I am all for dynamic loading of something along the lines you propose,
> instead of requiring up-front, a priori knowledge of the realm into
> which you will be authenticating.

Well, I personally wouldn't do it this way, but that's how the http
protocol works, so we have to make it work that way. I guess I meant, I
wouldn't be using http for an object request response protocol. :) But
the gods are crazy.

> -Fred
>
> PS>  Not to keep beating the same drum, but apropos to the issue of
> in-memory keystores, it might also be good to have the same kind of
> thing you propose, but for key retrieval, as well:
>
> <bean
> name="{http://....../EndpointName}.http-conduit.key-retrieval-mechanism"
> class="...."/>

Why not?