cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Fred Dushin <f...@dushin.net>
Subject Re: URL in Client stub
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:34:59 GMT
If a WSDL location is always passed in, then why is there a default?

I disagree with a subsequent statement, to the effect that you
generated the code, therefore, you know where the WSDL resides.  That
is usually NOT the case for the kinds of applications *I* write,
unless I am writing a hello-world-like demo program, which of course
is not a realistic example.

I agree with Dan, at a minimum, that a stacktrace to stderr is
misleading, at best, and should be removed.

I'd go one step further and say that i) hard-coded paths should not
go into generated code, and ii) this URL should not get a default --
failing to present a value when it's expected should be treated as an
error condition.

By relying on a default like this, you may end up i) giving yourself
a false sense of confidence that you've dotted your i's and crossed
your t's, because an application works in a specific scenario, and
ii) making it really hard to diagnose a bug, because you don't know
where a WSDL contract is getting loaded from.

-Fred