cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Samples
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:26:44 GMT

Polar,

On Monday 12 March 2007 12:09, Polar Humenn wrote:
> Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > 1) Building - they wouldn't build unless maven can find the jars.
> > Normally, we just put them in ${installdir}/lib which wouldn't work
> > too well.   Thus, the samples wouldn't work until we deploy the
> > release.   (or the user builds  the source distribution)   The OTHER
> > option here is to create a ${installdir}/maven_repo that is a copy of
> > all the stuff that is needed.   The 2.2-SNAPSHOT version of assembly
> > can create this just fine. Of course, that would increase the size of
> > the download.   (jars in lib and in maven_repo)    I'm not sure if the
> > assembly can grab the sources jars as well.   If so, that would be
> > great.   Then the created eclipse projects could be fully debuggable.
>
> I've done this with a couple of samples. It's kind of hard to make sure
> you have all the pieces, but it can be done.
>
> So, if its based on Maven, why do you need to supply the repository?

The main reason is to test the kits during the "pre-release voting" phase.
During that time, the poms would be looking for
version "2.0-incubating-RC", but we aren't allowed to put them into the
release repository yet as they haven't passed the votes.    There are two
1) Configure the samples poms to ALSO look in the place where we plan to
stage them (ex:
http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/staging_cxf_2.0-incubating-RC) in addition
to the release area.

2) Provide our own "local" repository (what I suggested above)

3) Parameterize/profile the stuff in (1).  (when in the voting period, you
have to build with -Pstaged)

4) Require the testers of the kits to have built the source version first
so it doesn't need to go find it.

etc...

> Maven should retrieve what is needed. To work offline? If that's the
> case, then maybe there may be a separate Maven Repository you may
> download?

To work offline, they can run "mvn dependency:go-offline" while they are
online.   I'm not too concerned about that one.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer