cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Move to JUnit 4?
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 17:15:10 GMT

With the move to Surefire 2.3, we can finally use JUnit 4 if we want to.
I've done a small amount of investigation to see what would be needed.
MOST of our unit tests will run unmodified with JUnit 4 and would not need
to be updated.    The tests that don't run are the ones that require a
pre-class setup (use a "suite" method).    Those would need to be updated.
They are pretty simple to update.   The "suite" method is changed to be
something like:

@BeforeClass
public static void startservers() {
}
@AfterClass
public static void stopservers() {
}
and all the test methods need a @Test annotation.

The tests that would need modification include:
1) JMS tests (startup broker)
2) One of the WS Policy tests (just simple setup/teardown)
3) A BUNCH of the System tests.

A couple hours of work would do it.   However, what are peoples thoughts on
moving to JUnit 4?

The main thing I like about it is to disable a test, you can add an @Ignore
annotation.    This then shows up when you run "mvn test" as a skipped
test.   It's much easier to find disabled tests so you know where they are
to fix them later.

Thoughts?
--
J. Daniel Kulp