cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Beryozkin" <sergey.beryoz...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Support for stateful services in CXF
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:00:15 GMT
Hi Bernd

> it's just a matter of taste and modelling preference.

absolutely, I agree. I reckon if people preferring to work with WS-RF can do it with CXF then
it would be a good thing... it would
be great to have CXF be as large tent as possible for various categories of developers. I
like Don Box's saying that about Indigo
one day when saying that they got REST support wired in : no time for religion.

> thanks for your reply. The way you describe it, WS-Context goes into a similar direction.

I just feel that with WS-Context (or with approach advocated by that spec) you can preserve
the familiar factory-instance
relationship, both at the  server and the client
sides, but the advantages you'd get is :
* server resource consumption is obviously under more control - just one Account instance,
seems pretty important when the large
number of accounts are there...
* client-side : what happens when the individual account/server goes down and get restarted
from the client perspective holding to a
reference with uri to the individual account ? If after the restart the individual account
gets mapped to the same uri then it's
fine

Perhaps, if we look at this slightly differently, using WS-Context would formalize this one
possible approach. But from the
application perspective, noone prevents people from creating one BankService, one AccountService
with a stem match (as Gary pointed
out), have BankService returning multiple EPRs/or just plain URLs all leading to the same
Account instance...

Where I see the advantage of using the context (passing it through the header) is that from
the client perspective the Account URI
is always the same, and this may pay benefits when restarting, possibly simplify the persistence
issues on both sides, etc

Cheers, Sergey

> Hi Sergey,
>
> thanks for your reply. The way you describe it, WS-Context goes into a similar direction.
> IMO it does not matter much if you have a single instance or many instances of a stateful
service,
> it's just a matter of taste and modelling preference.
>
> Best regards,
> Bernd.
>
> Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
>>
>> What would be your opinion about investing the dev effort into WS-Context ? Prehaps
the high-level purpose of that spec is not to
>> deal with bank-account scenarious but the idea would be the same in that the account
id will be an application-level *context*,
>> passed as a header, for example.
>> The advantage is that there will be one Account instance ever which will deal with
individial accounts by picking up the
>> application context from the header (account id).
>> Bernd Schuller wrote:
>>> I was wondering about whether you think it is a good idea to add support for
>>> stateful services to CXF.
>>>
>>> By "stateful" I mean you have multiple instances of a services sitting behind
a common
>>> frontend. These instances are disambiguated by some unique ID. Individual instances
can be addressed
>>> using WS-Addressing. The instances are kept alive between service calls (either
in memory or persisted to a database).