cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Bus ID
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:53:48 GMT
On Monday 12 February 2007 11:19, Dan Diephouse wrote:
> On 2/12/07, Soltysik, Seumas <Seumas.Soltysik@iona.com> wrote:
> > For the purposes of the JMX infrastructure I would like to provide the
> > user with a convenient way of viewing all MBeans associated with a
> > particular Bus.  Incorporating the BusID into the ObjectName of an MBean
> > is a user friendly way of communicating to the user the relationship
> > between the MBean and its associated Bus. However, it does not appear
> > that there is any guarantee(within a particular classloader) of the
> > uniqueness of the BusID value. If this is true then I am confused as to
> > the value of the BusID. It seems to me that CXF should enforce ID
> > uniqueness or get rid of the BusID entirely.
>
> In complete agreement on your statement.
>
> I don't really understand the point of the Bus ID personally. So I would be
> +1 to getting rid of it. However if its deemed useful for the JMX scenario
> that you outline, thats fine too.

At one point, the Bus ID was used in the config files for configuring bus
level things like the workqueue and bus level interceptors.    With the new
config stuff, I'm not sure if that's true or not anymore.       If not, how
would someone configure those things?

Basically, if I have 5 Bus's in my application, how would I configure each one
uniquely?

Instead of the default being "null", I would think it might be a good idea to
keep a static counter someplace and each time a bus is created with no ID,
just use "CXF-Bus-#" or similar so they would each be relatively unique.   It
wouldn't guarantee uniqueness as someone could create two or more busses with
the same ID, but in the default case of not specifying it, they'd be unique.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer