cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Some change about the CXF Servlet
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:35:48 GMT
On Sunday 04 February 2007 23:39, Willem Jiang wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Yes,  If we expose too much detail to the user , it will be painful for
> us when we are doing the refactoring stuff.
>
> Current CXF Servlet refactoring just make the Servlet decouple with the
> jaxws front end. In this way the servlet need to get to know which
> publisher implementing could be used in the servlet.
> We can take the publisher as the transport factory and load different
> publisher by the namespace which is defined in the cxf-servlet.xml.

Honestly, I have no idea what you just said here.

> But we also need to write the servlet class name in Web.xml. Can we make
> it parent to the user ?

This is mostly because we try to make the war completely app-server
independent.   There are ways to register a context listener (or something,
don't remember exactly what.  Tuscany does it.) with tomcat that would allow
the war to not have the web.xml at all.   All that would be needed is the
cxf-servlet.xml file.

That said, the web.xml is a straight copy from the one in etc.   The user
doesn't have to touch it to get their app working.   They don't need to even
know there is a classname in there.

> Here is another thought that CXF Servlet also support create the service
> by Spring configuration xml.  I think we also need to make it
> sophisticated to support different front-end.

I'd definitely be OK with this as long as we go the Spring 2.0 route that Dan
has been doing so it's relatively clean looking and not so "springy".

Just FYI: the current format for the cxf-servlet.xml file was used as it's
completely compatible with the JAX-WS RI.   If you take the sun-jaxws.xml
from a JAX-WS RI app and rename it to cxf-servlet.xml and change the web.xml
to ours, the apps are supposed to work.  (within the limits of the parts of
jax-ws that we currently have working).     If we add the "publisher" or
anything to it to distinguish the frontend, we're going to break that anyway.
We might as well go a clean route and use the schema and the Spring 2.0
stuff.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp