cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Glynn, Eoghan" <eoghan.gl...@iona.com>
Subject RE: Understanding Partial Responses [Re: Identification of Partial Responses]
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:45:51 GMT

Again, note that the WS-RX TC decided against this approach for _1.1_.

However that was no help to _1.0_ implementors such as ourselves, who
still had to figure out a way of solving the problem within the
framework of the 1.0 spec ... and in fact in many cases had already come
to a de facto work-around before MakeConnection was even a twinkle in
the spec writers' eye.

> That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't useful though. I've
> done some more in depth poking around and it appears other
> people are doing it, so I believe it is a justified feature.

Hallelujah! :)

> Also I've done some more research into how other frameworks
> do this and have some findings, which I'll bring up in the
> original identification thread.
>

> > I don't think it would be a good idea to support a hodge-podge of
> > WS-RM 1.0 and 1.1, for a number of reasons  ... the 1.1
> namespaces are
> > all different, 1.1 is based on a different version of WS-A, and 1.1
> > removes some features we support (e.g. the LastMessage marker).
> >
> > So I think we'd be much better off waiting for 1.1 to be finalized,
> > then going for it in one fell swoop.
>

> Shouldn't we be able to support both versions eventually?

Sure, for reasons of backward compatability and wider interop ... just
as we currently have multi-version support for WS-A.

But my point was that we shouldn't support a hybrid version (i.e. mostly
1.0, but with MakeConnection thrown in).

So a discrete choice would be made at runtime for each RMS->RMD
interaction, either fully 1.0 or fully 1.1, but not a mixture of both.

Cheers,
Eoghan