cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Neward" <...@tedneward.com>
Subject RE: JAX-WS 2.1 and JAX-WSA [was Re: Next Release]
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 04:54:29 GMT
IIRC, JAXWSA was canceled due to the fact that the WS-Addressing stuff was
to be included in JAX-WS; I think I still have the JAXWSA notification from
my (sporadic) days on the JAXWSA EG.... Yep, it was withdrawn on 12/11, by
Arun. In an earlier email (on 8/8), he wrote:

"JSR-261 has been operating under the assumption that it would layer on top
of JAX-WS 2.0. This enabled us to provide WS-Addressing functionality
without delaying the JAX-WS 2.0 EG. The plan was to later make this JSR into
a required component of a future version of the Java web services stack.

"After looking at the current state of JSR 261 and listening to the feedback
we received from community, this API seems to provide a rich and powerful
API for WS-Addressing that is more targeted to stack implementors rather
than to the end developer. In order to simplify the programming model for
WS-Addressing for JAX-WS developers, we are revisiting those initial
assumptions at the first available opportunity, namely the upcoming JAX-WS
2.1 Maintenance Release (MR).

"We would like to converge the JSR 261 specification and API with the
upcoming JAX-WS 2.1 MR. Here is a top-level summary of the proposed changes:

1). Simpler abstraction of EndpointReference as a first-class citizen in
JAX-WS.
2). Standard way to enable WS-Addresing in JAX-WS using @BindingType.
3). Various JAX-WS APIs expose/consume EPR.
4). Action/FaultAction moved from JSR 261 to JAX-WS MR.

"A detailed proposal outlining all the details will be available shortly.
JAX-WS 2.1 MR plan will be shared with the JSR 224 in the next few days as
well. Since all the relevant functionality from JSR 261 will be incorporated
in the JAX-WS MR, this would also mean that JSR 261 will be withdrawn from
the JCP.

"We believe this approach is the right thing to do for the specifications,
the platform and the community. Let me know if you think differently.

"I can host a concall if you feel the need to discuss these changes in more
detail."

HTH....

Ted Neward
Java, .NET, XML Services