cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Beryozkin" <sergey.beryoz...@iona.com>
Subject Re: WS-Context implementation
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:43:35 GMT
+1 to having a CXF-based WS-Context implementation...

IMHO this is one of the best specs in the WS space, simple and powerful....Few years ago I
was concerned about how to write
factory-based applications in the web services world...So one option is to allocate a resource
per every service which is not
acceptable for those pursuing coarser-grained approach, WS-Context would help here too...Contexts
do not necessarily have to be
transaction or security-related, they do not need to belong to higher-level activities....
Something like 'orderId' is also a
context as it identifies a specific application activity, and as such it can be passed as
a WS-Context header....People can still
use a familiar factory pattern in the client code but under the hood there'll be communicating
with maximum 2 services....

Cheers, Sergey

> On 12 Oct 2006, at 20:41, Sakala, Adinarayana wrote:
>
>> Hi Eric and Mark,
>>
>> It would be a great opportunity for CXF community and Apache to
>> participate in interop testing. I wish we had a WS-Context
>> implementation in place :) either we wrote or somebody has given to us
>> to participate in the interop testing. Certainly something to add  to the
>> CXF roadmap for consideration in my opinion.
>>
>> First off, dumb question, Are there any issues with CXF  implementing or
>> supporting this oasis spec?
>
> No, the specifications are under a very loose IP policy: anyone can  take the specifications
and provide a compliant
> implementation.
>

>> I will go read more about WS-Context to understand it more, but  here are
>> some questions that may be worth answering.
>>
>> Are there any specs that are similar to WS-Context?
>
> No. The only thing that comes close for session management would be  WS-A and the use
of ReferenceParameters. But if you check out
> one of  the links I sent originally, you'll see why we think this is a very  bad idea.
>

>> Can somebody comment on how this specification relates to
>> WS-ResourceFramework?
>
> Don't get me started on WS-RF ;-) I was one of the original  supporters of that effort,
but it's not a good example of SOA
> principles in Web Services! It's not related to WS-Context.
>

>> Is SCA planning to leverage WS-Context spec? If so, it might be worth
>> opening a dialogue with Tuscany folks, so that it is mutually  beneficial
>> for both the projects.
>
> There has been talk about how you could do sessions and conversations  in SCA and WS-Context
has come up several times as one way
> that is  recommended. The recent specifications reference WS-Context as well.
>

>> How widely is this spec adopted or used in the industry? (just
>> curious...)
>
> It's referenced by WS-A, SCA and several groups within OASIS. The  interoperability effort
is the last stop before making it a
> standard.  It's supported by Oracle, Redhat, Fujitsu, Sun and IONA, to name a  few. But
without the official backing of IBM and
> MSFT it's always  difficult to say in the world of Web Services ;-)
>

>> Mark, Does RedHat have any plans on opensourcing WS-Context
>> implementation?
>
> Yes. It's already open sourced in that there is an older version  covered by LGPL. However,
it's not in any repository yet.