cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Nolan, Edell" <Edell.No...@iona.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 09:11:39 GMT
+1, Edell.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kulp, John Daniel
Sent: 06 October 2006 19:01
Cc: cxf-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF

I'd like to vote to officially rename the project to Apache CXF.

I'm extremely +1.

There are a lot reasons to do so:  (summary of previous discussions)

1) All of our Apache resources are "CXF".   If someone goes to apache to
looking for CeltiXfire using the "normal Apache" URL's and such, they
won't find it.  Example: if they send a note to celtixfire-dev-subsribe,
it would bounce, etc...

2) Branding - It seems like all of us are calling it CXF in our
communication. However, the "Apache Branding" would require it to use
the full project name.  It would be good if it matched to avoid
confusion for
users.    (Example: in a note on the incubator list during the recent
issues, someone asked why we were calling it CXF.)   Anyway, a lot of
people
are already associating CXF with the project.   Let's build on that.

3) Our package name, jars, install dir, etc.. all use "cxf" right now.
No
work would need to be done there.  (I'm lazy, I admit it.)

4) No wacky CamelCase spellings to cause confusions and branding issues.

(Celtixfire, CeltiXfire, CeltiXFire, etc..)

5) Already I18N capable.  :-)     Seriously, we had some chats on IRC
about "how to pronounce" some of the other ideas.   Example: Apparently
the
word "foam" is hard to pronounce in some locales.   Also, "Celtic" is
pronounced different in various locales as well.

6) Break some ties with the "messes" that we've been involved in.   I
keep
hearing nicknames like "celtic-miss-fire" and such.   That's not good.
The
recent events certainly didn't help things.   A semi-clean slate is
probably
a good idea.   Make them think of new nicknames.   :-)

7) However, by keeping the initials, there is "some" tie to the previous
projects, but the tie is broken enough to make it clear, this really is
something new and better.

8) The top two google links for CXF are already our own confluence
space.
Nice job everyone.   :-)    CXF is an acronym for "Chemical eXchange
Format",
but that really shouldn't matter for us.

Thanks!
--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer