cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Adrian Skehill <adrian.skeh...@iona.com>
Subject Apache CXF Integration with the Eclipse STP
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:27:47 GMT
Hi There,

As part of the ongoing work within the Eclipse SOA Tools Platform (STP)
project, we are planning on migrating our Service Creation component to
use CXF instead of Celtix 1.0. What we did for Celtix was to commit all
the required jars in order to run the code generation into the STP CVS
repository. The Eclipse Foundation has a very extensive legal process
that needs to be run over all third party committed components and
continuing in this way would take a huge amount of time and effort,
particularly if the jars that CXF depended on changed. Plus some jars
are not re-distributable (e.g. CDDL based libs) which gives us more
problems.

So, I would like to propose that instead of updating STP to include CXF
jars, CXF would create an eclipse plugin that the STP could use to
satisfy the dependencies. This plugin would be a very simple wrapper
type plugin, and it would only contain the required libs necessary to
use the CXF generators and any other components that would benefit from
tooling. This plugin would need to be made publicly available for
download and we then in STP would put a dependency to bring it in as
part of our build / test purposes.

This should be a fairly straightforward task to do, and we would be able
provide assistance in getting the build system modified to publish the
plugin. Anybody who would download the STP would also need to bring in
this plugin as we will not be able to ship it without approval from the
Eclipse legal department.

I'd love to hear back and get the ball moving on this so that then CXF
would be able to benefit from integrating with the STP and Eclipse
environments.

Any comments / thoughts / concerns?

Regards,
Adrian Skehill.