cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Bozhong Lin <b...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Distribution Thoughts
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:33:33 GMT

Dan Diephouse wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just downloaded our distribution SNAPSHOT [1] and poked around a bit.
> First let me say, great work - its looking quite good! However, I think
> we need to address a few items before we're ready for a release:
>
>    * Why is it a JAR and not a ZIP/Tgz? I personally don't like it and
>      I doubt the incubator will be very keen on it either. For one it
>      extracts a META-INF directory which is annoying and for two it
>      isn't very friendly to users. I would be much more in favor of
>      both a zip/tgz distribution.
I agree. I looked into other Apache projects and I see that the most
common distribution formats are ZIP/Tgz, and I haven't seen a signle
distribution format as JAR. I will add a todo item for this if there is
no objection around this.

>    * The archive should expand into the directory
>      cxf-2.0-incubator-VERSION. Not doing so is highly frowned upon at
>      Apache. bin, docs, lib, dirs should be include in this directory.
>    * Whats the cxfinstaller for?
>    * I'm very wary about not putting a version # on cxf-incubator.jar.
>      I don't think the incubator will like it and I don't buy the
>      argument about having build scripts depending on cxf-incubator.jar
>      and having to change the version # every time. People can always
>      include cxf-incubator-*.jar from ant to pick up any version or
>      they can copy cxf-2.0-incubator-M1-SNAPSHOT to cxf.jar
>    * Instead of having cxf-*.jar in lib, I think they should be in some
>      other directory like "cxf-individual-modules/" so people don't
>      include both the bundled jar and the individual modules.
>    * Do we have to distribute activemq?
I am for not including activemq in distribution, and putting a note in
release note or readme file. Any objection for this? If not, I will
include this as an action item also.