cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: Distribution Thoughts
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:27:08 GMT
Daniel Kulp wrote:

>Oisin,
>
>On Monday October 16 2006 5:02 pm, Oisin Hurley wrote:
>

>>Also in general, people
>>who are working for ISVs that are forming infrastructure bundles
>>for their own products fall into the second camp.
>>

>However, these are also the same people that dislike a bundle jar as it
>makes it nearly impossible for them to bundle the "subset" of the
>functionality that they really need.   Example, if they want to "remove"
>the JMS code.   In anycase, they would already need to copy a BUNCH of
>jars (saaj-*.jar, jaxb*.jar, jaxws-api.jar, etc...) in addition to
>cxf-bundle-2.0-incubator-M1.jar.     So, it's a difference of 44 jars
>versus 71 jars right now. (for everything)

First, if people want to do the module approach they still can - they
just need to include the specific modules they want. Second, most people
won't need all the dependencies, so its most likely a difference of 25
jars instead of 10.

>For that type of user, I think it's best to help them use the tools to
>allow them to "select" the functionality that they need.   If they use
>Maven 2, it's easy.   If they use Ant, we could help with docs explaining
>how to use the maven2 extensions to ant.   If they use Maven and not put
>a dependency on the JMS plugin, the 71 reduces itself by a LOT as all the
>JMS/ActiveMQ/derby/etc... stuff doesn't get sucked in.
>

>In anycase, I would "ignore" the bundle jar for now.   If a specific use
>case/user request comes in, we can evaluate if it's best to try the
>bundle jar or best to work with the person to use the maven/ant stuff or
>similar.    If we never get a request, no harm done.

You are exhibiting a bit of a bias against the status quo. If we had a
bundle jar and no manifest jar would you feel the same way? How about I
switch the build around and then we wait for a user request?

I'm not saying that we should do that, I'm saying that is not good logic
to put an end to the thread.
Cheers,
- Dan

--