cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Mika Göckel <mika.goec...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:50:19 GMT
-1 (non-binding)

just because we're using the abbreviation CXF for convenience reasons
doesn't mean it's a good name at all.
Please name some successful projects with such a short, non speaking
acronym as a name, if any they are few.
I've got 615.000 hits with this acronym on german google, how will you
ensure people are finding us?
How should people talk about CXF? Is it cee-eks-eff? What does it mean,
where's the story? Does it create phantasies? No.

"Anyway, a lot of people

are already associating CXF with the project."

Sorry, Daniel, but a lot of people means a couple of thousands, not the bunch reading incubator-general.
If we were on tss with the name, I would agree, but at this time there are only a few having
associated the name with the project.

To summarize: I don't think acronyms are good names for projects, I recommend finding a better
name now.

Cheers,
Mika

--