cxf-dev mailing list archives

From "Johnson, Eric" <Eric.John...@iona.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Officially rename the project to Apache CXF
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:42:02 GMT
Hani,
You are correct that there are a number of important considerations in
picking a name. However, since we are still in the very early days of
this project now is the time to pick one that works. Our adoption and
branding efforts are still nascent and will recover easier if we change
the name now.
As for community acceptance, I think that is why Dan called this vote.
There has been a lot of push back from the Apache community about the
name and a few political scuffles. Dan's suggestion, while it may be
hard to type and be completely meaningless, is one that preserves some
of the history behind the project, is being used as a shorthand by many
people, and has a better chance of long term community acceptance.
The meaningless nature of the name is a red herring. Many projects, and
products, have names that have little relationship to the actual
function or form of the product. I also find that cxf is easier to type
than CeltiXfire.
If you have a different suggestion please offer it up.
Cheers,
Eric J.