cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: building M1 release candidate
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:28:09 GMT

Bo,

> Most M1 TODOs have been completed so far, and I think it might be a
> good time for us to build a release candidate and preview it. I am
> thinking to use maven release plugin to prepare release, I tried a dry
> run of "mvn release:prepare" today and it seems that the plugin works
> fine. Does anyone have any concern about using maven release plugin for
> managing release? It does save HUGE effort for modifying all POMs back
> and forth.

We do have a perl script in bin that would accomplish the same thing.
Thus, it's not a "HUGE" effort.

> Right now, there is a slight problem in our pom for running maven
> release plugin. buildtools module is declared as a sub-module of cxf in
> top-level pom, but it does not extend cxf module. Any reason why it is
> done that way now?

It has to do it that way, otherwise you get a circular dependency problem
that maven will not allow.    The "pluginManagement" section has direct
dependencies on the buildtools so the checkstyle/pmd plugins can be
properly configured.   Thus, the buildtools pom cannot specify the cxf
pom as a parent.  There are some "wacky" workarounds (tuscany came up
with one), but those workarounds are fairly complex and hard to
understand.

> We either need buildtools to extend cxf or need to
> define scm.connection properties in buildtools module for maven release
> plugin to run properly. Right now neither "distribution" module extend
> cxf module, and we probably need to fix that too for Maven plugin to
> run properly.

Adding the scm connection stuff is probably the best way to go.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer