cxf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Distribution Thoughts
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:27:29 GMT

Oisin,

On Monday October 16 2006 5:02 pm, Oisin Hurley wrote:
> Also in general, people
> who are working for ISVs that are forming infrastructure bundles
> for their own products fall into the second camp.

However, these are also the same people that dislike a bundle jar as it
makes it nearly impossible for them to bundle the "subset" of the
functionality that they really need.   Example, if they want to "remove"
the JMS code.   In anycase, they would already need to copy a BUNCH of
jars (saaj-*.jar, jaxb*.jar, jaxws-api.jar, etc...) in addition to
cxf-bundle-2.0-incubator-M1.jar.     So, it's a difference of 44 jars
versus 71 jars right now. (for everything)

For that type of user, I think it's best to help them use the tools to
allow them to "select" the functionality that they need.   If they use
Maven 2, it's easy.   If they use Ant, we could help with docs explaining
how to use the maven2 extensions to ant.   If they use Maven and not put
a dependency on the JMS plugin, the 71 reduces itself by a LOT as all the
JMS/ActiveMQ/derby/etc... stuff doesn't get sucked in.

In anycase, I would "ignore" the bundle jar for now.   If a specific use
case/user request comes in, we can evaluate if it's best to try the
bundle jar or best to work with the person to use the maven/ant stuff or
similar.    If we never get a request, no harm done.

Enjoy!
--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer